- install Ruby using the one click installer
Note that 1.8.2-15 has a small problem, the Ruby Gems Package Manager shortcut does not work because it is pointing to ruby\bin\gemhelp.cmd which does not exist. To use the Ruby Gems Package Manager open a cmd window and then enter the gems command. Or you can create the gemhelp.cmd file which has only one line in it, cmd /k gem or download it from here.
- install rails gem (and all its dependencies)
gem install rails --remote
- when doing an upgrade I sometimes had to force it by doing an install of the version I wanted to upgrade to
gem install --remote --version '0.13.1' rails
- install salted login generator gem
gem install --remote salted_login_generator
- install localization gem
gem install --remote localization_generator
- Iconv is a library used for charset conversion and required by the Salted Hash Login Generator. Download this iconv package with simple installation instructions, unzip the package, and run the installer.
C:\tmp\iconv>setup Setup has detected Ruby at c:\devel\ruby and Windows/System32 at C:\WINDOWS/System32 Install Iconv there? [yN] y cp iconv.so c:\devel\ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/i386-mswin32 cp iconv.dll C:\WINDOWS/System32 cp charset.dll C:\WINDOWS/System32 Installation successful.
Update, the above iconv package link no longer works. Instead you have to follow the more laborious task of getting
iconv.soand installing it in
iconv.dlland installing it in
C:\WINDOWS\System32. More detailed instructions can be found on the iconv in Ruby on Rails page.
- download latest RMagick Windows gem ZIP archive from http://rubyforge.org/projects/rmagick/
- unzip Windows gem archive
- go into unzipped directory and do a local gem install
C:\tmp\RMagick-1.9.1-IM-6.2.3-win32>gem install RMagick-win32-1.9.2-mswin32.gem
- run post installer
C:\tmp\RMagick-1.9.1>postinstall RMagick 1.9.2 win32 Post Installation (see enclosed README for license information) detecting available fonts, writing to config/type-windows.xml...ok. setting MAGICK_CONFIGURE_PATH to 'c:/devel/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/RMagick-win32-1.9.2-mswin32/config'. setting is only for current user. Copying 5 dlls to c:/devel/ruby/bin...done. all done.
- install MySQL 4.1 (use the Windows Essential installer)
- create tables, for example
mysql -u fkim -p < zipcodes.sql
Excellent web based MySQL administration tool.
- download phpMyAdmin package
- unzip package and configure Apache to locate that package
- I use phpMyAdmin for administration tasks such as creating users and database